- Short Title
These Rules and Regulations may be called “Rules and Regulations of the Sangeet Natak Akademi.”
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi shall be the National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama for India.
In these Rules and Regulations unless the context otherwise requires:
- The ‘Akademi’ shall mean the Sangeet Natak Akademi
- The ‘General Council’ shall mean the entire body of members constituting the Sangeet Natak Akademi
- The ‘Board’ shall mean the Executive Board constituted as such under these Rules –
Words importing the singular number only include the plural number and vice-versa
Words importing the masculine gender also include the feminine gender.
- Members of the Akademi
The Akademi shall consist of the following members (hereinafter collectively referred to as ‘the General Council’) namely:
- Chairman to be appointed by the President of India
- Financial Adviser to be appointed by the Government of India
- Five persons nominated by the Government of India
- One eminent person in the field of performing arts nominated by each of the States and Union Territories enumerated in the Constitution of India in consultation with the State Academies or equivalent institutions
- One representative of the Department of Culture to be nominated by the Government of India
- One representative of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to be nominated by the Government of India
- Two representatives from each of the two Academies namely, the Sahitya Akademi and the Lalit Kala Akademi and one each from National School of Drama and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations, New Delhi
- Twelve persons to be co-opted by the members mentioned in items i to vii above in consultation with organizations in the fields of music, dance and drama recognized by the Akademi for this purpose in accordance with the rules to be framed by the Akademi provided that the rules should be so framed as to ensure, wherever possible, the representation of:
- not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of Hindustani music
- not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of Carnatic Music
- not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of dance
- not less than two persons with adequate knowledge of drama
- Eight eminent persons in the fields of music, dance and drama from different regions of India to be co- opted in their individual capacity by the members mentioned in items i to vii above
The General Council shall continue for five years from the date appointed for its first meeting of the nominated/ appointed members and the expiration of such five years shall operate as a dissolution of the General Council.
- Roll of Members
The Akademi shall keep a roll of members giving their addresses and occupations and every member shall sign the same. If a member of the Akademi changes his address he shall notify his new address to the Secretary, who shall thereupon enter his new address in the roll of members. If the member fails to notify his new address, the address in the roll of members shall be deemed to be his address.
- Officers of the Akademi
The following shall be the officers of the Akademi, namely:
- Financial Adviser and
- The Chairman shall be appointed by the President of India and shall hold office for a term of five years.
- The Chairman shall have the powers to take decisions on behalf of the General Council or
- Executive Board when circumstances so warrant subject to the condition that the decision taken by the Chairman would need to be ratified by the General Council or the Executive Board as the case may be at its next meeting.
- The Chairman may delegate such of his powers as he may consider necessary to the Vice-chairman or to the Secretary.
The Vice-Chairman shall be elected by the General Council of the Akademi from among its members and shall hold office for five years. But the first Vice-Chairman shall be appointed by the Government of India.
The Vice-Chairman shall, in the absence of the Chairman for whatever reason, exercise all the functions and powers of the Chairman.
- Financial Adviser
The Financial Adviser shall be appointed by the Government of India and shall hold such office at the pleasure of the said Government.
The Financial Adviser shall generally advise the Akademi in all matters relating to the management of the properties and investments of the Akademi, preparation of the annual estimates and statements of accounts and the expenditure of funds for the purpose for which they have been granted or allotted.
In order to ensure efficient management of the finances of the Akademi, the Financial Adviser shall have the following powers and functions, namely:
- To examine and scrutinize the budget of the Akademi prepared by the Secretary
- To consider all proposals for new expenditure
- To consider the audit report
- To revise the finances of the Akademi from time to time and
- To give advise on any financial question affecting the Akademi either on his own initiative or at the instance of the Secretary or any of the bodies of the Akademi.
- The Secretary shall be the Principal Executive Officer of the Akademi and he shall be appointed by the Executive Board for such period and on such terms and conditions as the Executive Board may determine.
- The Secretary shall be the ex-officio Secretary of the General Council, the Executive Board, the Finance Committee and all other Committees which may be set up by the Chairman, the General Council or the Executive Board, but shall not be deemed to be a Member of any of those authorities.
- It shall be the duty of the Secretary
- To be the custodian of the records and such other property of the Akademi as the Executive Board may commit to his charge
- To conduct the official correspondence on behalf of the authorities of the Akademi
- To issue all notices convening meetings of authorities of the Akademi and of all committees appointed by any of those authorities
- To keep the minutes of all meetings of the authorities of the Akademi and of all committees appointed by any of those authorities
- To maintain accounts of the Akademi
- Subject to the control of the Executive Board, to manage the property and investments of the Akademi and be responsible for the preparation of the annual estimates and statements of accounts and for their presentation to the Executive Board and the General Council
- subject to the powers of the Executive Board, to be responsible for seeing that all moneys are expended on the purposes for which they are granted or allotted
- to sign all contracts and assurances of property made on behalf of the Akademi after the same have been approved by the Executive Board
- to exercise such other powers as may be assigned to him by the Executive Board or the General Council
- The receipt of the Secretary or the person duly authorized in this behalf by the Executive Board for any moneys paid into the Akademi shall be sufficient discharge for the same.