INTERPRETATION CENTRES, VARANASI
The Hon’ble Prime Minister during his visit to Varanasi on 25th December 2014 in a speech stressed the need of developing some schools and colleges in Varanasi in a way that they have mastery over the life and work of eminent personalities of Varanasi or over any theme regarding the heritage of Varanasi and hold programmes based on the theme chosen for them. In fact visitors to Varanasi can visit these schools which are in most cases in close proximity to the theme chosen and spend some time there. This can increase tourism potential in Varanasi. The students would not only be made aware of their rich cultural heritage but this would also motivate them to aspire for greater heights in their artistic career just like the maestros they have been introduced to through these Interpretation Centres.
As a follow up of the above, the Sangeet Natak Akademi, New Delhi, held the Mahotsava “Sanskriti” in Varanasi during 25th to 29th December 2014 with a view to highlighting the ancient cultural heritage of Varanasi by way of disseminating the life and work of eminent personalities of Banaras in the field of performing arts (like Ustad Bismillah Khan, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Vidushi Sitara Devi, Pandit Kishan Maharaj , Maharshi Patanjali and Yoga and others) among the youth and school going children up to the XIIth standard.
Thirty-two schools were adopted by the apex bodies of the Ministry of Culture. Five schools were adopted by the SNA namely:
- Sanatan Dharm Inter College: Theme – Ustad Bismillah Khan, Shehnai maestro
- Bengali Tola Inter College: Theme – Pt. Ravi Shankar, Sitar maestro
- Rajkiya High School Kardhana: Theme – Sitara Devi, Kathak Dance maestro
- Rajkiya High School, Lalpur: Theme – Pt. Kishan Maharaj, Tabla maestro
Shri Pattaviram Shastri Ved Mimansa
Anusandhan Kendra, Hanuman Ghat: Theme – Maharshi Patanjali and Yoga
Activities at the Interpretation Centres at Varanasi
TALENT SEARCH AMONG STUDENTS covering all forms of performing arts in the name of eminent personalities of performing arts like
- Ustad Bismillah Khan – Sanatan Dharm Inter College
- Pt. Ravi Shankar – Bengali Tola Inter College
- Pt. Kishan Maharaj – Rajkiya High School, Lalpur
- Vidushi Sitara Devi – Rajkiya High School, Kardhana, and
- Maharshi Patanjali – Shri Pattaviram Shastri Ved Mimansa Anusandhan Kendra, Hanuman Ghat
- Career Counselling for students
- Teaching workshops as per the talents of the students
- Lec-Dem by eminent scholars
- Workshops on instruments making
- Visits to eminent artists birth places
- Film screening on eminent personalities in the field of performing arts
- Provide teachers in different art forms for the students
- Visits to historical places and heritage walks
- Ustad Bismillah Khan scholarship for the students who are participating in the activities at the Centre @ Rs 500 per month
- Facilitate special training programme under eminent gurus to highly deserving and promising students
- Interaction with artists and scholars of the region on Cultural Day celebrations such as Music Day, Dance Day, Yoga Day, birthdays of eminent personalities
- Permanent photo gallery at the school creating cultural space/room in the name of Ustad Bismillah Khan where audio/video equipments can be installed for the students
- Essay competition/other creative activities on the eminent personalities in the field of performing arts. Prizes will be in cash only.
- Stage performance by students on the occasion of School Day / Interpretation Day and other events.